As a small local business specializing in building and selling handcrafted, luxury mattresses from all-natural materials, we offer a casual but professional work environment with flexible hours and ample opportunity for creativity, innovation, and growth.
We value sustainability and transparency, focus on creating meaningful relationships with our customers, and provide the opportunity to be part of Calgary's growing independent maker community. Come join us!
Currently we are looking for a:
- Full-time (up to 40 hours per week)
- Medical/dental benefits provided
Making our products in house specific to our customers' needs using natural materials is what sets us apart from other options on the market.
- Participate in building mattresses, bases, headboards, and other products according to BSM specifications and standards.
- Finalize production cards for each order.
- Schedule and implement cutting, sewing and assembly of cases.
- Participate in the development of new products.
Almost all Black Sheep products are made-to-order. Organizing when an order gets made and who is responsible for different elements is a part of this position. Our production team consists of 4-5 people and you will be joining an experienced team member familiar with our systems to speed up the learning process.
- Organize and prioritize production schedules to meet delivery expectations.
- Approve finished and cut sizes of mattress cases and other cases for customer orders.
- Supervise activities of others building mattresses, mattress bases, headboards, and other products.
- Final inspection of finished products to ensure every item meets BSM standards of excellence. An eye for detail is very important!
Inventory & Ordering:
Part of this position entails clear & timely communication with our suppliers.
- Inventory control and ordering. Monitor levels of material inventories and anticipate production volumes to order additional inventory as needed.
Shipping In & Out:
Bringing in our materials will require the ability to use computers and communicate with our suppliers by both phone and email. Another part of the position is shipping out customer orders in a timely manner.
- Organizing shipping of materials from suppliers to our location.
- Picking and packing customer orders for shipment or delivery.
- Packaging mattresses and mattress bases for shipping.
- Scheduling regular cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
- Disposal of garbage and recycling.
- Good English speaking, reading, and writing skills
- Previous experience in a manufacturing working environment, or in the furniture or upholstery business is preferred
- Sewing skills is an asset
- Proficiency with gmail, google sheets & docs, Slack preferred
- Openness to learn new programs
- Strong work ethic
- Attention to detail
- Communication & interpersonal skills
- Organizational & leadership abilities
- Self-motivated with a results-driven approach
- Problem-solving skills
- Able to stand for long periods of time
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties or responsibilities associated with the position. Being a small company, every team member wears many hats and other job-related duties may be required.
Applications accepted until November 5, 2021. Interviews will be conducted in November.