Not sure where to start? If you’re new to Black Sheep, it can feel like there’s a lot to learn. But we’ve created 3 easy steps to help you understand our options, and find the bed of your dreams:
- Choose a Model
- Choose a Spring or Height
- Choose a Firmness
Here are the steps, broken down...
Step 1: Choose A Model
The Oxford (Latex)
- Made from 100% natural Talalay latex
- Breathable; bouncy but sturdy feel
- Adjustable base compatible
- Highly customizable - choose from 5 levels of softness/support (see Step 3)
- Comes in split profile for Queen and King size - minimizes movement transfer, and each partner can choose their desired level of softness/support
- Choose from 7”, 9", or 12" mattress height (see Step 2)
- Comes with a free adjustment within 90 days of delivery* - see Shipping/Returns page for details
- Read more here
The Devon (Hybrid)
- A traditional spring-based mattress, but with a layer of 100% natural latex on either side of the spring for customizable softness/support
- Hand-tufted and built in an English style
- Comes in split profile for Queen and King - each partner can choose their desired softness/firmness
- King size mattress can also be split, essentially into 2 half-Kings, which completely eliminates movement transfer (must order this option in person or by phone)
- Double-sided and flippable
- Pocket coil springs (or Bonnell upon request only)
- Comes with a free adjustment within 90 days of delivery (for Calgary customers only) - see Shipping/Returns page for details
- Read more here
The Suffolk (Spring)
- A classic, spring-based mattress
- Medium-firm feel and flippable
- Choose from Bonnell* or Pocket Coil Spring (see Step 2)
- Our most popular choice for children, but a favourite for all ages
- Does not qualify for free 90 day adjustment, as it is non-adjustable
- Read more here
Step 2: Choose a Spring or Height
If you’ve chosen to go with the Suffolk mattress, your next step is to choose a spring.
If you’ve chosen the Oxford mattress, you don’t need to pick a spring, but you do have to choose the height of your mattress.
If you've chosen the Devon, you do not need to choose a height or spring - it will be automatically made with the pocket coil springs. However, if you're ordering a King size Devon, you may wish to have the mattress made into two half-kings, or stick with the traditional one-piece design.
For the Suffolk: Choose a Spring
- Pocket coil springs: A modern design, with smaller, individually wrapped springs that respond to the contours of your body, and prevent significant motion transfer from your partner’s movements. Most adults prefer this option.
- Bonnell springs: A traditional, time-tested design. Offers uniform support throughout the mattress. Most popular with children or those who prefer a firm feel.
*Bonnell springs are only available for twin and full sizes at this time.
For the Oxford: Choose a Height
- The 9” Oxford is the most popular. It provides the lavishness of 4 layers of latex, and can accommodate a range of firmnesses.
- The 12” is the most robust and luxurious option. 5 layers of latex allow for a high degree of customization from very soft to very firm. For those seeking the ultimate plush feel (unconventionally soft), or the grandeur of a higher profile, we recommend the 12".
- With 3 layers of latex, the 7” performs best for those seeking a medium to firm feel, and provides the most comfortable price point for the all-latex model. All the benefits of the Oxford model with none of the bulk.
For the King-Sized Devon: Choose One-Piece or Split Mattress
- Some couples choose to order their King Devon mattress split into two half King mattresses. This option completely eliminates movement transfer, but would obviously create a gap between the two sides. Please contact us to order this option.
Step 3: Choose a Firmness
If you’ve selected the Suffolk mattress, you’ve already opted for a medium-firm feel. If you’ve chosen the Devon or Oxford model, you can choose from a range of options.
We use a 5 point scale for determining the level of support and softness of your mattress:
1 = Soft: Great for pressure point issues and injuries requiring extra cushioning. Ideal for those who find most mattresses too firm.
2 = Medium-Soft: Best for side sleepers and those seeking a plusher or hugging feel, with contouring support.
3 = Medium: Supportive enough for back and front sleepers, but soft enough for side sleepers.
4 = Medium-Firm: Best for back and stomach sleepers. Supportive but with mild contouring effect. Minimal sink feel.
5 = Firm: Highly supportive, minimal to no sink or hugging feel.
Questions? Special requests? Contact us.
If you have questions or concerns, just get in touch. We’re happy to walk you through the process in our shop, over the phone or by email.
Because each of our mattresses are made to order in our shop, we can further customize your bed if need be. Simply contact us to discuss options for exceptional softness or firmness outside of our typical range, as well as custom sizes, heights, or to order a King Devon split bed.