Filled with natural wool batting and quilted into 100% organic cotton muslin, our luxurious Wool Duvet brings the ultimate year-round comfort - staying cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Always looking to support our local community, we’ve partnered with Custom Woolen Mills in Carstairs, AB, to card and sew our wool into these beautiful duvets.
Dimensions and Weights
Twin/Twin XL: 88"L x 70"W (3lbs of wool)
Full/Queen: 88"L x 88"W (4lbs of wool)
King: 88"L x 105"W (5lbs of wool)
Duvet and duvet cover sizing does vary from brand to brand. A duvet cover that is 2" smaller than the duvet itself will create a snug fit.
100% wool batting
- No insecticide soap is used on our wool. The wool is minimally processed, and conditioned when carding with a natural recipe of olive oil, rubbing alcohol, and soy lecithin.
100% organic cotton muslin, GOTS certified
Benefits of Wool
- Known for sleeping cool in the summer and warm in the winter, this property of wool eliminates the need for multiple sets of bedding during the year. This insulating property is also excellent for couples with different sleep temperatures, as wool regulates these differences and ensures a comfortable sleep for both partners.
- A surface that remains dry to the touch, wool can absorb up to 30% of its weight in water without feeling damp, making it comfortable to sleep under even for those who sweat during the night or live in humid climates.
Water, mold, mildew, and dust resistant
- Wool creates a naturally anti-microbial environment as it quickly absorbs and releases moisture. The thin waxy coating of the fibre contains fatty acids that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew, and bacteria.
Natural fire retardant
- Eliminates the need to use chemicals and doesn’t ignite or flame easily. Wool is also self-extinguishing, and does not melt, stick, or release highly toxic fumes while burning the way synthetic materials do.
About Custom Woolen Mills
Custom Woolen Mills is a small, family owned and operated woolen mill located near Carstairs, AB, and they have been producing wool on machines that date back to 1886 for nearly 35 years.
Using a quilting machine invented and hand-built in 1945 by John Weselowski, a mill owner in Manitoba, the stitching pattern seen on our duvets is unique to their machine and cannot be found anywhere else.
We’ve partnered with Custom Woolen Mills to reprocess the excess wool from our mattress-building process by carding (brushing the wool fibers with wire teeth to align the fibers, turning it from clumps of wool into batting) and sewing the wool into our organic cotton muslin fabric to make for beautiful, natural wool duvets, a perfect addition to our line of natural sleep products.
For the best care, we recommend sun bleaching and using a duvet protector.
Washing in a top-loading washing machine is also an option but it is very important to not agitate the wool.
Please read through detailed care instructions by clicking here.
Wool batting has a natural scent, as it is not treated with any chemicals. For this reason, we recommend taking the duvet out of the bag to air out before putting a cover on it.
Duvet cover is not included.
I’ve been wanting a solid wool duvet for a long time. I’m always cold during the winter and I’m not a fan of synthetics. I am no longer cold while I sleep. I jumped on this when I found out that Black Sheep launched it. I am very happy with my purchase and the service from Black Sheep. This blanket is amazing! Exceptional quality. Canadian. My German Shepherds love to cuddle together on this incredible new addition to our bed.
Thank you Black Sheep :)
This isn’t my first purchase and won’t be my last.
Hi B, we were excited for the new duvets too and we’re so glad that this duvet was the one to make the difference for you and your pets. It’s cozy, warm and it’s Canadian. We agree that you can’t beat that! Thank you for your support for us!
When I saw that Black Sheep was selling wool duvets I literally rushed over (all the way from Cochrane!) and bought one. We have a Black Sheep mattress and Black Sheep sheets and we love them both. The quality is top notch, the bed and sheets are comfy and I love that they were all made locally and with the best materials. I sleep so much better now. So... I knew that the duvet would be a great purchase and ... I was right. It is nicely weighted, but not too much. Snuggly and warm for winter and I know that it will be great for summer too. I am so thrilled with this purchase and I want to thank Black Sheep for going with a local maker and for providing us with this wonderful product!
Hi Neil, we are so happy to hear you were just as excited as us for the launch of the new wool duvets! It’s good to know we made a right choice in partnering with a local mill to make this cozy addition. We’re glad to know it’s keeping you warm in these cold winter days and you’re getting the sleep you need. Wishing you more nights of restful sleep!